Friday, June 15, 2012

Jacpot Hangs Out With Me While My Foot Recovers

Running in the San Diege 100 Mile Endurance Run was a great time
The run did not go as I pictured.  My time was slower than I had hoped, but the unexpected and challenging experiences are what we all are really seeking, and I had plenty.

I had hoped to run under 26 hours, but due to my feet and ankle having a lot of trouble I had to walk in the last 20 miles.  My pacer Teresa started running with me at about mile 72, around midnight.  I have to give Teresa a lot of credit putting up with a struggling and slow person for the last 8 to 10 hours, she never lost her enthusiasm.

 Below are a few pictures taken by wife Cindy who was once again awesome to help support  me before, during, and after this run.  Thanks also to the third person of my crew Steve.

A final thank you to the Lenaway Family, who opened up their home on our way down to San Diego.  We got a good nights sleep and had a blast hanging out with their whole awesome family.  To my surprise the Lenaway Family showed up at the finish line to see me putter in.
  

Jacpot hangs out with me while I ice my feet for a few days after the race.

Cindy, had plenty of down time to go around taking some pictures.

Ready to go at the start of the race.

I think I'm starting to wonder what I am getting myself into.

This is where I got to go running.

This is my favorite picture.  I think it captures how I felt just before the race - calm, but focused.

Arriving at the second Aid Station... I was ahead of my goal time.

Arriving in Aid Station #7 - Feeling tired and hurt feet but still okay.  My time is still pretty good.

I needed a change of socks at #7 (mile 44).  I wore too thin of socks and the blister on my foot was a couple inches in diameter.

Even though I had already run 44 miles and was pretty tired, this is what I enjoy, and was having a good time.


At aid station #10 (mile 72) I still feel pretty good while I have a cup of coffee, and I am still happy with my time.  The struggles begin to really kick in about mile 80. 


My good friend Teresa the pacer did a great job. 

The Lenaways chat with Steve before my arrival.


Arriving at the finish line.

Being congratulated by the race director as I cross the finish line.  193 people started.  131 finished.  I came in 66th.

The Lenaways made this awesome sign.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing! That is awesome! It makes my training for a half seem pretty mild compared to this. :)

I'd love to feature this post on our San Diego-based site. Let me know if you're interested!

Email me: shondra (at) dwellable (dot) com

Thanks!
Shondr

Finn said...

Wow, congratulations! What an amazing job.